Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP)
Association of Energy Engineers (AEE)
AEE certifies individuals. Candidates must have one of the following:
- A 4-year technical degree in a specified field or engineer or architect registration, plus 3 years' experience in one of the following:
- facilities management
- process engineering design; construction project management; electrical/controls design; installation or operations; testing, adjusting and balancing; or building commissioning
- A 2-year technical degree or vocational school certificate in HVAC/electrical; or valid HVAC or electrician contracting license; or a 4-year non-technical degree with 5 years of HVAC/electrical experience
- 10 years of HVAC/electrical experience, if no degree
- The current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
Certification requires a 3- or 5-day in-person training. Classroom lectures focus on process rather than technical subjects. Training covers project scheduling, roles and responsibilities, new building commissioning, retro and recommissioning, system-by-system commissioning requirements, TAB and verification procedures, the LEED rating system, building code issues, and commissioning tools and technologies. Trainings are scheduled in Las Vegas and Washington, DC and earn AIA CEUs and PDHs.
A 4-hour, open-book exam immediately follows the training. Multiple choice and true or false questions cover the basic building commissioning process. The passing score is 70%.
- Certification application and examination: $200
- 3-day CBCP Seminar: $1,250 for AEE members / government / nonprofit; $1,350 for non-members
- 5-day CBCP seminar: $1,695 for AEE members / government / nonprofit; $1,895 for non-members
- Certification renewal: $200 every three years
A CBCP must accumulate 10 professional credits every 3 years to maintain certification. Credits accrue from continued commissioning activities, professional memberships, continuing education, awards and offices held in trade societies.
Francine Seskin, CBCP
Association of Energy Engineers
4025 Pleasantdale Rd, Suite 420
Atlanta, GA 30340
Tel: (770) 447-5083, ext. 223
Last revised October 2010